Monday, January 8, 2007

UFO's

The sun is shining outside, and its 62 degrees. A beautiful day in the neighborhood! I've just finished lesson 4 on EQ6. I have a quilt group meeting to go to tonight and I'm taking it for show and tell. I haven't been able to do any sewing for awhile, although I did do about 25 green-and-red quilt blocks in the weeks before Christmas. I intend to make enough for a king-sized quilt and hopefully have it done by next Christmas! They are traditional pieced blocks done with holiday fabrics on a cream-on-white background. I found the patterns in different places on the net, all for 12" blocks. Some I like and some I'm not really happy with, but I can use them as orphan blocks somewhere else. I will print out some more patterns from EQ6 when I'm finished with lessons 5 and 6. I have lots of fabric left over, since I save all but the smallest scrap (and agonize over whether I should keep those 1" x 2" pieces!)

I would also like to do an applique Christmas quilt someday, using the large designs that were popular in red blocks during the early 1900's, although I would use machine applique instead of hand-applique. I started a wall-hanging about 4 years ago of old-world Santas in hand applique, I only got half of them finished. I suppose I could mix them with traditional pieced blocks to finish up the wall-hanging, but they're in storage right now anyway, and would take some searching through boxes and bins to find them. They're mostly rectangular blocks, maybe 6" x 8" and 8" x 10".

My quilt group has a contest to see who can finish the most UFO's (unfinished objects) in the next year. For each project I finish that was started before 2007, I get a ticket. The more tickets I get, the more chances to win a prize. The prize winner didn't necessarily finish the most projects, but that person gets a prize, too. I finished only two projects for last years' contest, I hope to do better this year.

I will try to post some pictures of my quilt blocks in a day or so.

1 comment:

Marla said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog!We all wonder, who wants to read my thoughts but we all have such interesting ones! Welcome to blogland and if you don't mind, I'll stop by again.