Monday, December 18, 2006

What does the dog want for Christmas?

Okay, I finally got the last couple of Christmas gifts today. You know, the last minute, did I get this person enough, guilt relieving gifts that finally let you sleep easy. I would always like to have spent more money on my loved ones, but this year has been hard on the pocketbook. Thankfully, I think they all understand, and most are in the same boat.

My older son is taking his wife and three kids to Disney World for Christmas this year. Talk about a glutton for punishment! but, oh, how I would have loved to do that with my boys when they were young. They opened their gifts early, and the toddler enjoyed the wrapping paper most of all.

We had tuna sandwiches for supper, and they were awesome, as always. I make killer tuna salad sandwiches, in my own humble opinion. Want the recipe? here goes:

2 small cans of tuna packed in water, drained
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion, or to taste
enough Miracle Whip (or the light version) to make it all smooth
soft white bread

Stir all this together until smooth, and pile it on the bread. I dare you to eat just one sandwich!
Optional ingredients: chopped pecans, finely chopped apple, chopped celery, grated carrot
(pick one or two.) Serve with chips. Yummy!

I realized when I got home from shopping that I had intended to get a gift for Monty, but forgot.
What do you get the dog that has everything? He inherited a large number of toys that he doesn't play with. He'll eat almost anything that doesn't eat him first, including pickles off of hamburgers (although he doesn't care for onions or lettuce.) My DIL fed him spaghetti for supper--he nearly broke his neck getting off the couch to follow her to the kitchen. A rawhide bone doesn't last him any time at all. I usually get him a new collar, but he doesn't really need one. He won't wear reindeer antlers or jingle bells. I did buy a bone-shaped cookie cutter a couple of weeks ago--I guess I should make him some home-made dog cookies.

I sent my Red Hat Society friends their Christmas cards today. I sent e-cards to the ones who have e-mail, and regular cards to the rest. I have to recommend a website that has the greatest animated cards I've ever seen--www.jacquielawson.com. They require a membership, but it's inexpensive, and the cards are worth it. No affiliation, yadda, yadda.

No comments: