Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Waiting for Amaryllis

This Amaryllis is hopefully going to bloom in time for Christmas. We think it's a variety called "Red Lion," but we'll have to wait to see. My husband is growing these beauties from seed! Not this particular one, he got a bulb for this one. But he has dozens of seedlings about two inches tall. It takes three years for the plant to make a bulb this size. This is his new hobby--growing plants from seed to sell to nurseries and florists later.

He has never really had a hobby before, not in nearly 27 years of marriage. I, on the other hand, have had more than I can count, starting with stamp collecting and running the gamut of crafts and needlework, depending on what was "in" at the time. I enjoyed each one until I had mastered it to my own satisfaction. Then it held no interest for me anymore. If I keep this up, by the time I die I will be an incredibly talented woman. I do return to a past hobby occasionally, so I always keep all my books and magazines and equipment; this is why I have a 10' x 10' storage unit that I pay rent for every month.

We went to our favorite pancake restaurant tonight.(we all hop for ....) Last week we got there after six p.m. and it was really pretty dark outside, but their outside lights were off. Being good citizens, we informed them of this only to be told that the lights were still on Daylight Savings Time. Huh? Sure enough, at 6:30, all the lights came on. Okay....

No comments: