Friday, December 22, 2006

Turkey for Five

John went to see "We Are Marshall" tonight, and thought it was very good. I wasn't interested in seeing the kind of grief and devastation the whole town suffered back in 1971. I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like for the survivors, especially those who missed taking the flight by chance. I prefer comedies or animated films to dramas. I want to see "Night at the Museum" or "Happy Feet." I stayed home and watched "Mary Poppins" on TV instead. I love the music and no matter how often I watch it, I still get the shivers when "Feed the Birds" comes on.

We had intended to find a restaurant to eat Christmas dinner at this year, as we have in years past. I called Luby's--they will be closed. I called The Torch, a restaurant run by a Greek Orthodox family--they will be open, but we really can't afford the $70 it would cost for the five of us. So I went to the grocery store, bought 2.5 lbs. of thick-sliced deli turkey breast, two packages of pre-made mashed potatoes, two jars of chicken gravy, two boxes of stuffing, and two packages of rolls, as well as a pecan pie and a lemon crunch cake. It cost about $35. We will have a semi-homemade Christmas meal, and leftovers, to boot!

No comments: