Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve


The amaryllis made it! It looks beautiful on my buffet table, flanked with poinsettias. All is ready for tomorrow. Someone will pick up my MIL at 12:30, while my DIL and I cook dinner.
We'll have our deli turkey and microwave fixin's, then open our presents. Then we can pig out on leftovers for supper.

DH took me out to a local taco place for supper tonight. I have felt depressed and restless all day. I took Monty for a walk, even though it was drizzling. I just needed to get out of the house. Tacos may seem strange for Christmas Eve dinner, but I don't care for tamales--which is the normal holiday dish here in South Texas.

I can't help but remember Christmas with my mother and family. (My dad stayed out of the way, mostly.) My mother loved jigsaw puzzles, and my sisters and I would gather around the card table every holiday to help her with the puzzle and catch up with each other's lives. I became very good at jigsaw puzzles, and have several of them. I love to do them, but to leave them on the table for a day or two takes up too much room. I do them on the computer now. After the puzzle was finished, my brothers would join in and we would play hearts, or spades, or dominoes until it was time to go to bed. We still play dominoes whenever we get together--usually Mexican Train with double 12's or 15's. The Christmas tree was a 6 foot aluminum tree with a color wheel (I still have the color wheel. Wish I had the tree, too.)
I never felt closer to my siblings than when we were gathered around the card table.

My DH doesn't play cards or do puzzles. I tried to teach my sons to like puzzles, but it didn't work. So the puzzles stay in the closet. I have forgotten how to play hearts and spades. I know now why old folks seem like fuddy-duddies--no one will play with them anymore! I miss just having fun.

I apologize for seeming so maudlin, but that's what Christmas does to me. I hope anyone who reads this has a wonderful, happy holiday and a healthy and prosperous New Year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marcia, what a beautiful flower!

I have a husband with no hobbies either. Just works on computer all the time. I don't know what he is going to do when he isn't doing consulting any longer.

I understand the Christmas depression. I bought a light box to sit in front of. Haven't used it yet, but plan to start tomorrow.

We had a good time in Reno with our youngest and his 3 kids but I'm soooooo glad to be home. It is not nearly as easy to visit one's children as it is to have them come to us, but I imagine they might feel the same way. They don't have a bedroom for us so we ended up staying in the kids bedrooms and they had to stay on the couch downstairs. Of course the kids don't mind. The routine just isn't ours though and that is difficult .... must be old age setting in.

Luv, Sus in Spokane