Sunday, March 25, 2007

Busy days


Here I am with Monty, our 12-1/2 year old Scottie, sitting in my new Adirondack rocker in front of our house. I'd been wanting a place to sit outside, read a book, or just watch the world go by. A local nursery had these chairs in knock-down form on sale for $40 each, so DH bought one for me and put it together. It is chained to a tree in our front yard, as anything not attached tends to walk away in our neighborhood. I'll probably paint it in a few days and make some cushions for it.


I'm also posting some pics from my last Red Hat get-together, for St. Patrick's Day. This is me on the right, with a friend. We had a blast. Below is a photo of our group taken by one of the waiters at the restaurant. Wait persons always get a big kick out of us, and we get lots of comments from other patrons, as well. Don't we look like a fun bunch?


I'm still working on the quilt top. I have two borders on, with mitered corners, which are a real pain. I have the last border left to go, and should get it put on tomorrow. Then I have to find the backing fabric and piece it to be large enough. I'm ready to get on with other projects. I have a demonstration to do at the next quilt group meeting, of a new set of templates for cutting half-square triangles called CATS-Cut Accurate Triangle Squares. I need to work up step-by-step samples for that, which I will do in black and white prints. I should be able to use all those HST's to make something afterward. Maybe a table runner, or placemats, or both.

I also want to embroider the Eastern Star symbol on some light-weight canvas for a couple of ritual covers, and maybe some simple canvas aprons from the craft store. Since I am on the refreshments committee for OES for this next fiscal year, the aprons would be a nice touch for the committee members. I may also embroider it on a couple of tote bags, too. I figure if I'm going to go to all the trouble of loading the design onto a card for my machine, I may as well do a bunch of embroideries while I'm at it.

I have a cake to bake for the spaghetti luncheon we're having at OES next Saturday. We bought tickets for ourselves and DS and DIL. We went to a dinner Friday night for the 150th Anniversary of the Lodge that we meet at. The mayor was there, as well as the WM of the Grand Lodge of Texas, who both gave very nice speeches. The food was good, Filet Mignon and Potatoes Anna. A salad, rolls, and some underdone green beans rounded out the menu, and a big ceremonial cake cut into 2" x 2" squares. I'm sorry, folks--but I like my green beans COOKED, thank you, not al dente. Maybe I'm just an old country girl, but what's up with the crunchy vegetables, anyway?

No comments: