Wednesday, March 14, 2007

a bad day

So...15 blocks to sew. I got started yesterday, and today they're just going together like gangbusters. So far, so good. 12 done. 13 done. 14---I get halfway through and the power goes out to my sewing machine, lamp, and iron. So I try to pin down the problem, and the power comes back on. Great! I get started again, and the power goes out. What the??? On again. Off again. On. Off. Arrgghh! So my DS brings home a new surge protector and plugs it in. Everything works! Yea!! Nope, off again. So he plugs it into another wall socket. Ok, we're in business. Uh, wait--off again. So he unplugs everything except the phone, and now it doesn't work. We think it must be a bad fuse in the main breaker, but it will have to wait until tomorrow....

Tomorrow, after the plumber comes to figure out why the garage has two inches of water in it. It appears to be a leak in the water heater or in the outdoor faucet line, or maybe rainwater backing up through the washer drain, we'll have to wait and see. Not the time to work on the electrical box.

My karma must be really bad. Everytime we think we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, it turns out to be an oncoming train. Life has not been kind to us the last few months.
It's really hard to keep up our spirits, and both DH and I are feeling pretty demoralized right now.

Tomorrow I have a Red Hat luncheon to go to, but I will skip the funeral of one of the Red Hat ladies tomorrow afternoon. She had only recently joined our group, and I had only met her once. I really don't need any sadness right now. I probably should stay home, but at least my DIL will be here to greet the plumber.

Friday my oldest son turns 27. Time goes by so quickly--and I feel much older than 51. I think I'll go have a good cry, that should make me feel a little better. Maybe things will look better tomorrow.

2 comments:

Marla said...

oooooo....a good cry always makes things look brighter right. I think the dark little cloud over our house may be extending a bit north towards you! Our new chimney, built because we have a huge leak in our house is doing what? You guessed it, leaking! The fixed computer...on it's way back to Dallas to be fixed again! I've been wanting to thank you also for the great string blocks. I hope you join us this month!!!! Sorry for all this on your blog but I'm not on my computer and don't have your e-mail address. Big Hugs to you!

Unknown said...

Good Grief! You are right, you guys have had more than your share this past year.

We've had some of the same things happen, but we didn't have the illness to deal with along with it so it didn't seem so bad.

We had a leak in the shower upstairs which meant we had to pull out the tile on that wall and it left a big hole in the laundry room ceiling downstairs. That is what led to remodeling that bathroom, which by the way, is done now.

Last week we had a plugged up drain in the kitchen which required buying an auger or whatever they call those things. Don spent 3 days thinking and trying things to get it unplugged so as not to have to call a plumber. He finally brought a hose in from outside and flushed out whatever was plugging the drain.

Last year we had to have the hot water heater and furnace replaced, at great expense I might add.

It does seem sometimes as though it is just one thing after another doesn't it.

My mood on these things is more upbeat than Don's. He would like to live in a world that is smooth and where life never deviates from the way he thinks it should go. I sometimes think he has a very different view of life than I do. I just expect things to happen from time to time and therefore I'm less distressed when they do. Not in a fatalistic sense, just knowing from experience that drains plug, water drips, roofs leak, and that those things can be fixed.

It's the stuff like cancer that is really scary, you don't know if it can be fixed. I wonder if over the long haul that is what is really stressing you out? It probably just seems like life should be more fair to a great couple who are trying to cope with something really rotten.

My love to you both. Sus