Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tutorial--Pin Weaving

**********

My DH brought me these roses--aren't they beautiful?


I made a big pot of chili--two pounds of browned hamburger, an onion, 4 cans of assorted beans, 1 can of tomato sauce, 1 package of taco seasoning ( I was out of chili seasoning) and a large can of RoTel; slow-cooked for several hours. Muy caliente!!!! Yum!! Thank goodness my stomach still can take spicy foods. DH begged off--more for me!

**********
I just signed up for a new postcard swap--this time called Beautiful Brown. Hmmm...how to make brown beautiful? I am not a fan of earth tones, preferring brights any day; but I want to stretch myself. So I considered doing something to look like a sepia-tone photograph, but that would be too labor-intensive. I could go simple, like an appliqued dog or teddy bear, etc., but I wanted to put a little more imagination into these cards than just a simple applique.

Then I happened to remember that I had a lot of old bias tapes and other trims. Plenty of browns in there, and I needed to use them for something. Maybe a celtic design? Hard to do in a 4" x 6" format. But back in the day I had tried pin-weaving, and I decided that would do the trick.

So here's a sort of mini-tutorial for you young things that don't know what pin-weaving is.

Step 1--cut a piece of fusible interfacing the combined size of all the cards (or whatever you're making.) Pin it fusible-side UP on a pinning surface like a press board or ironing board.

Step 1

Step 2--Pick out the tapes and bindings you want to use, press them, and cut them into lengths that will cover the fusible interfacing in one direction. Use different colors and widths of strips.
(What a bland palette!)

Step 2

Step 3--Pin the strips side-by-side covering the fusible interfacing completely. Alternate colors and widths until you are happy with it. Note: DO NOT PRESS AT THIS STAGE or you will have to start all over again!

Step 3

Step 4--Now start weaving more strips through perpendicular to the first strips. Pin them in place as you go, making sure they butt up closely to each other. I used rick-rack strips to add interest to my piece. When you are finished weaving, press thoroughly according to the manufacturer's directions. I use an iron set to scorch, with steam. Your results may vary. Turn the whole thing over and press from the back side as well. Then trim off all the sides even with the fusible interfacing.

Step 4

This is the basic pin-weaving process. Not too bad for basic browns! I'll turn this piece into postcards in my next post.

No comments: