Thursday, April 19, 2007

Gingko Glory Quilt


Well, I said I was going to start a few projects...

The second thing I started was this quilt, which I bought a kit for last summer. I just intended to cut it out, but the instructions were for cut-as-you-go, and once I got started, I just kept going. It took me three days. It's about 60" x 60" and is called Gingko Glory. The pattern and fabrics are from Michael Miller, and each fabric is gorgeous. I'm pleased to say that I had quite a bit of fabric left over. My DH is holding it up by the corners in the photo. It's just a top for now, I will get some Asian fabric to back it with, and it will go to the quilter when the red and green quilt goes. I also have a kit for another kimono quilt in different fabrics, but that one will wait awhile.

Other projects in progress: the black and white placemats; a turquoise and black wrap jacket; and a couple of other small projects that I'll keep to myself for now.

Our TV is STILL in the shop, but they told me they would have it ready by the weekend. It's been three weeks without it.

I opened our electric bill for this month, and nearly fell off my chair. The amount due is NOTHING. In fact, from the looks of it, next month's bill may be zero as well. It seems they had been overestimating how much our monthly average usage would be, and were overcharging us for a whole year. What a great surprise to be able to skip that for this month!

We've been watching the news about the shootings at Virginia Tech. I firmly believe that the worst thing the courts have ever done was to make it so difficult to have someone committed to a mental institution. This kid was clearly in need of some serious long-term psychiatric help.
So often it is when they go off to college that schizophrenia rears its ugly head in an otherwise normal person. They are facing life-changing stressors for the first time, and have less of a support system than ever before--and some of them crack. What a horrible event, to lose so many bright minds in such a senseless way. Heaven, help the Hokies! They will need it for a long time to come.

2 comments:

His Office, My Studio said...

Love your quilt, great job!

Marla said...

Very nice job!!!!!! I can't wait to see it in person! Lucky you on your electric bill!!!