Saturday, February 24, 2007

Bummer of a birthmark, Hal

A good friend lost her husband this morning. I heard about it in an e-mail from another friend. It hit me really hard, even though I had never met the man. I found myself in tears--DH comforted me and I told him I didn't know why it affected me that way. He said it just hit too close to home. I have felt out of sorts all afternoon. DH took me out to my favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner to take my mind off of it.

Today is my youngest son's 24th birthday, and tomorrow is his second wedding anniversary. He and DDIL are going to San Antonio to see a comedy performance. I hope they have a great time. They need more time to themselves. Then Sunday is my birthday.

I cut the sashing and cornerstones for my quilt and began attaching them to the blocks. As I checked the blocks for square, I discovered that 15 of them are 1/2" too small! Fudge buckets!
I think I can fix 3 or 4 of them by narrowing seam allowances that are too big, but the rest will be set aside for another project. I knew a few would be too small, but not 15 of them! I guess I'll be making more blocks over the next few weeks, but I'll go ahead and sash the 30 blocks that are the right size this weekend.

DH is trying to find a California Lilac for me, hoping that the ones bred by Descanso Gardens in So. Cal. will grow here in So. Tex. I miss the flora and fauna of Arkansas/Oklahoma. He has planted a Sarah Bernhardt Peony in a large pot for me, since the ones I have tried to plant in the ground did not survive. I like the tropical plants down here, such as bougainvillea and hibiscus, but I miss dogwoods and redbuds. Anything that needs a cold winter is not going to make it here without a lot of TLC.

No comments: