Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Military benefits

DH and I went to the pharmacy at the base hospital yesterday; we walked out 20 minutes later with 90 days worth of all our prescriptions FOR FREE!! How neat is that?? Hurray for Tricare! He's been showing me around the base so I will know where all the amenities are. We went to the commissary and I couldn't pass up the gorgeous roasts they had. Most things are priced close to what they are in the local supermarket, but there's no sales tax.

I finally got my military ID card updated--it had expired a year ago. Now if DH's Medicare cards would get here, we'd be in business. I did find out that I can be reimbursed for up to one year of prescriptions, so I got the paperwork for that.

At OES last night I got called up to the front. I figured I was in some trouble now! but as it turned out, they presented me with a certificate that I am now an endowed member! an Eastern Star for life. DH had paid the steep price to do that for me, and kept it a secret while it was in the works. I was astounded, and the others there were appropriately wowed. I'm only the 5th member of the chapter to be an endowed member, and the other four are people who have not been there since we joined in January.

DH often does things like that for me, and I am very appreciative. Today is his 65th birthday. Happy Birthday, honeybun!

I am on a quest to find a type of non-woven fiber sheet called Lutradur. I have heard a lot of artists talking about how cool this stuff is. Sure, I can order it off the net, but surely there is someplace locally I can get some. I've tried all the craft stores, and Lowe's. My search is not over--I know that florists use it to wrap flowers, and it is used for some construction purposes in a heavyweight form. I intend to keep looking until I find some. I've got some stuff I picked up after a formal dinner a few years ago. It had been used to cover the white tablecloths and was a pretty blue and green mottled color, similar in weight to a sew-in interfacing and sort of the texture of dryer sheets. Maybe this is Lutradur, I don't know. I may try using it for the same purposes to see if it works. I just have to find it in the storage unit. What a hassle! I have to get someone to spend the time to go with me, I don't feel safe spending much time alone there. Hopefully I can get DH to go with me this weekend sometime, if he has a couple of spare hours.

No comments: