Thursday, May 24, 2007

Catching up on happenings

Well, I have found two new puzzle games that are lots of fun. One is called Atlantis Quest, and is similar to Bejeweled, only you work your way up the levels on a quest to find artifacts that will lead you to Atlantis. I really like the added incentive to keep playing. The other one I already mentioned--it's called Oasis. It's a simpler form of Civilizations, and I just loaded it on my computer today, but I'm already hooked!

I have been trying to get hold of the lady who I want to quilt the red and green quilt and the Gingko Glory quilt, but after two weeks I have not been able to contact her. I have the money saved up, the quilts are ready, so I'm getting increasingly frustrated about it; all I can do is keep trying.

I am going to Portland (Texas) tomorrow to pick up my sewing machine. The screw that broke off in the presser shaft is costing me about $100 to get fixed. They had to order a part--I don't know if it was the shaft or the screw itself-- which cost $40 of that total. What choice do I have, if I want to keep sewing? The machine itself was $2000, and is already a long way from the top of the line. Really good machines cost as much as an economy car did a few years ago. It will be nice to have it back, but I have enjoyed the excuse not to start any new projects for a couple of weeks.

I went to a public meeting this afternoon held by Wal-Mart addressing the concerns of people who live in the area where a new Supercenter is scheduled to be built. Personally, I am looking forward to the new store, one of two supercenters scheduled to open over the next two years here. For several years now, we have had only one real supermarket chain in the Corpus Christi area, and although their prices aren't outrageous, a little competition couldn't hurt.
The only existing Supercenter is on the other side of town, several miles from here. Of course there is still a health food store, only about a half-mile from my house, but I'm not fond of buying food in a store that is always thick with moths flying around. The moths come in with the bulk food bins (yuk!) and where there are moths, there are larvae. Not my idea of health food! The Wal-Mart going in this year is across Staples Street from the church in which my sons got their Eagle Scout awards, and the one for next year is going in an old strip mall called Parkdale Plaza. That area could use some revitalization.

Our OES chapter is having a rummage sale this weekend at the Lodge. DH is contributing a lot of plants to sell, and I have been going through stuff to donate as well. Today it was the old record albums. I have many of my albums that I had as a teenager, stuff like the Bee Gees, Frankie Valli, John Denver, Beach Boys, etc. DH has some albums from the early 60's beatnik era, mostly Polynesian stuff. All that will go to the sale, but I couldn't bear to let go of my Spike Jones 3-LP set! I don't own a phonograph, nor do I expect to buy one, but I just can't do it. Does that tell you something about my personality??

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday for a BP check; I was really worried about it. He had increased my BP medication, and DH has been taking my BP every day and recording it. It had been rising steadily despite more medication. To my relief, the doctor threw out all those readings because the BP cuff we had been using was too small. My BP at his office was 119/82.
He told me to keep up the good work and see him again in six months. Yea!! I'm planning to order a larger BP cuff as soon as we can afford one. I had been taking Aleve twice a day for my heel spurs, but I've stopped taking that, since NSAIDs can increase BP. I'll try either Tylenol or Aspirin instead.

My DDIL found a baby bird in the front yard this afternoon. It looked like a baby grackle, not exactly an endangered species around here, but we're all soft-hearted about animals. After thinking for a minute, I had her retrieve the nest that Mrs. Dove had built and abandoned. We put it in the crotch of the tree, and put the baby bird in it. I don't know if the parents will continue to feed it there, but at least a cat won't get at it, so it will have at least a slim chance. I did see some agitated grackles flying around the vicinity later.

No comments: