Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Day of Infamy

**********
Today is the 10th anniversary of 9/11/2001. As I watch the replay of the newscasts of that day, I cannot help but remember the horror we all felt.

That morning I awoke around 10 am and stumbled groggily into the living room. My husband was sitting on the couch. He looked at me and simply said "We are at war."

He told me that the World Trade Center Towers were no longer there. I watched the replay of the events that morning, feeling that I was watching a disaster movie. As I watched, all I could say, over and over, was "Dear God." The Pentagon disaster, and the crash in Pennsylvania
only deepened the sense of anxiety we all felt.

My biggest concern was for my son, Chris. He was a Navy sailor aboard the USS Enterprise, and it was on patrol near the coast of Afghanistan. The terror in my heart was that my son was in immediate danger, and would be for the foreseeable future. If the terrorists could do this in the US, what could they do to our ships at sea?

My husband and I have flown a US Flag outside our front door for the past 10 years removing it only during severe storms. A light shines on it every night. As far as I am concerned, it can stay there forever.

The days and weeks after 9/11 were filled with such a sense of togetherness, determination, and patriotism. I wish that had lasted to this day. I hope today will spark some of that same feeling again.

We will never forget.

**********






No comments: