Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Busy Day

**********
Yesterday was a lot of fun. It started off with a wonderful Red Hat luncheon. I love going out with my Red Hat friends! We always have a great time.

Afterwards, one of my friends and I went browsing through some second-hand and antique stores, which is something I really love to do. One store saw us coming, I think--they had lots of red-and-purple items to drool over. I bought a lovely red chenille hat for only $10, and a cute red purse for $6. They are cardinal red, not orange as the camera shows them.


Afterwards I went to a local thrift store, where I scored a set of Double Wedding Ring quilt templates for $4, and four bamboo trivets for $2 each. A good day!



On the crafting scene, I have been making some ornaments to include in my Christmas cards this year. I used lots of small pieces of fabric from my stash in a string quilt sort of technique to make a large piece of fabric, sandwiched it with Peltex interfacing and a backing, then used the decorative stitches on my sewing machine with pretty threads to embellish the seamlines. Then I edged them with a rough satin stitch. Now I am going to add some glitz and add a loop for hanging. They are kind of primitive looking, and that is part of the charm. The best ones will go in the cards, and the others will make nice gift tags or go on my tree. The leftover pieces on the left will be sewn together in a crazy quilt sort of way, and more ornaments cut from that piece, maybe circles or stars or something.


This summer has been so hot and dry that we didn't want to do much gardening. So-- the flower beds look like the photo below. It used to be full of Mexican heather with an edging of liriope. Now the heather is almost all dead, weeds have proliferated, and the liriope has invaded the whole bed. It was here when we moved in 23 years ago, but may not be here much longer. It is not really attractive, and is very invasive. We have given away all we can, and the rest will have to be dug out.


I worked all day to clear the other bed shown below. Only a few tiny hosta plants have survived. (The dirt is brown, not gray--my camera again!)


I have asked my hubby for a new digital camera for Christmas. I want to do some online research to pick the one I want, something easy to use at a reasonable price that gives good results. The one I have is about 4 years old, and was an inexpensive model at the time. I know the technology has improved in the interim.

I have finished the physical therapy for my knee, and am no longer taking much pain medication. Once in awhile I take enteric aspirin for my heel spurs, but the knee seldom bothers me anymore. I have started using my treadmill again, so I hope the limp is gone for good. I still don't get down on my knees. I used a shower chair for the weeding work.

My hubby tore down the backyard shed that the possums were living beneath. The metal and rotting wood was put on the curb for the heavy trash truck which is due to pickup this week. The day after he set the stuff out, all the metal disappeared. There are lots of "junkmen" around that scour the curbs before the trash truck comes. Anything they can repair or sell for scrap disappears overnight.

Last week Copper caught and killed a possum half his size. It appears that he pulled it out from under the shed by the tail, and it probably "sulled' or played dead. He crushed its chest. No more possums now, I hope. (yes, I know it should be spelled with an "o" but no one says "opossums," do they?) Copper didn't have a scratch on him. We call him the Great White Hunter now.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

**********






No comments: