Wednesday, August 10, 2011

New sewing project

**********
Copper loves to go "walkies." I went looking for a new harness for him, but the only ones I could find at the pet supply stores looked very uncomfortable, and when he walks with just his collar, he ends up choking himself by pulling too hard. He really needed a good, comfortable harness.

So I went looking on the internet, thinking someone must have copied one of those new "safe" harnesses they advertise on TV. No such luck--but I found a good tutorial for a really cute vest-type harness that I felt I could adapt a bit.

The original tutorial was posted by Erin Erickson here:

http://www.erinerickson.com/2010/11/little-dog-harness-tutorial/


Her dog is such a cute model! The harness is designed to close with Velcro, but I prefer to use something a little more secure since Copper pulls a lot. So I used the "Loki Harness" pattern on the same PDF, shortened the belly straps a couple of inches, and inserted a snap-buckle and straps on each side. I kept the neck the same but overlapped it with a button and buttonhole. I'm really pleased with how it turned out!


It was really easy to make, even with the changes I made. I think it took less than an hour. Erin also has some other really cute dog accessories with tutorials.


Copper seems to like it. He loves being fussed over! It certainly looks a lot more comfortable than the store-bought harnesses. There's a D-ring on the back for his leash to hook onto.

**********


This is my fat knee without the bandages on. Two small puncture wounds with a single stitch in each. It is a little swollen and bruised yet. It is very sore, but that's probably because I've been putting more weight on it today. I'm looking forward to walking without pain very soon.

**********




No comments: