Saturday, December 16, 2006

Ready for Christmas

This is my husband's dog, Monty. He's 12, and sits right next to John as much as possible. He started out as my dog, but since I'm the one that shoves his pills down his throat, he switched allegiances.

Am I the only one who gets upset at all the advertising for gifts that aren't readily available? Seems like false advertising to continue ads when they know they can't possibly meet the demand with the supply. I pre-ordered a video game from a national retailer, now it's on back order and they don't know whether they'll have any in by Christmas or not. I think the companies are doing it on purpose as a marketing ploy, to drum up a buying frenzy and media coverage. Bah, Humbug!

I sent out the last package today. The postage this year has come close to exceeding the value of the gifts! One box cost me over $30 to mail. Next year may see a return to gift cards. At least they are cheap to send.

I haven't done any decorating for the holidays this year, other than to display some of my Christmas fabric postcards. Someday I hope to have a bigger house, one that is more conducive to holiday decorating. I have an entire Christmas village that I'd love to display, but I don't even own a dining table to put it on.

When the boys were young, my husband and I would load them in the car on Christmas Eve and drive around looking at the Christmas lights. Some homes here have really elaborate displays. There is a 75 foot tree made of garland and lights on the Bayfront downtown, and a lot of the shrimpers decorate their boats in the marina. South Texans really get into Christmas!
Our finances don't run to nonessentials right now.

My husband has a rare form of colon cancer; fortunately a very slow-growing type. He is realizing that his body is not as sturdy as it once was. A couple of weeks ago, he fell off a ladder while cutting down a tree trunk in our backyard. He cracked some ribs and has been very sore since then, and is banned for life from climbing ladders! So no Christmas lights for us, even though we already have them in the garage.

Happy Hanukkah to all our Jewish friends!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marcia,

Try ordering online and having it delivered directly to the recipient. Only difficulty is they have to wrap their own. I don't gift wrap since the kids are willing to do that, but it probably doesn't cost anymore than buying paper, ribbon and tags yourself. Since most retailers have free shipping for at least part of the time during the holidays, you can eliminate postage. Course if you are sending homemade this doesn't apply.

Luv, Sus