Sunday, December 4, 2011

Gruene is pronounced "green."

**********

I went on a bus tour to Gruene, Tx yesterday with a few of my Red Hat friends. The town is small and is very proud of its Historic District. The main claim to fame is the oldest dance hall in Texas. The Christmas Market was in full swing, and the town was swarming with tourists. There are several specialty shops and a general store, antique stores and restaurants. It was a wonderful trip. Despite the rain.
I had been saving up for a couple of months, but actually spent only a fraction of what I had saved. I had a delicious lunch at the Gristmill Restaurant--the onion rings are to die for! I traipsed all over town, stopping at every store that interested me, which was most of them. There were vendors set up in tents as well, but I didn't find anything of interest.


I did buy a couple of Christmas gifts for my hubby; some divine Lemon Verbena potpourri shown above, which smells just like lemon drops! and a lovely parure of Peruvian Turquoise (Chrysocolla) consisting of a necklace, bracelet, and earrings, all set in silver wire (below.) I also bought a jar of Pecan Praline Honey Butter spread. Yum!!


In all the bus tour lasted 11 hours- 3 hours getting there, 5 hours in Gruene, then 3 hours back. The trip only cost 30 dollars and was well worth it. (Rockport Tours)

**********

I have all my Christmas cards mailed, all my gifts purchased and wrapped, and have done all the decorating I am going to do. Now to get back to work on those VHS tapes. Those are going slower than I had hoped, but I must get them done as quickly as possible, because in January I need to start packing for the move in June.

**********



No comments: