Friday, November 7, 2008

Cold, cold, go away!

**********

I've been fighting my cold for almost a month now, and I finally have it down to just a nagging cough. I've been sick enough that I didn't feel like doing much. I did try out the quilt pattern that my sister gave me, although I just wanted to make a table topper with it. This is a very simple pattern that looks complicated (don't you just love those?) The pattern calls for nine-patches made out of 4" squares (I used 3" squares.) The center square is white, the corner squares are a feature fabric, and the rest are a coordinating print. Then you cut the blocks in half vertically and horizontally, and turn the upper right and lower left pieces 180 degrees, then sew the pieces back together. My quilt used 16 blocks, 4 across and 4 down. It finished 28" square, just what I wanted.


Here's the back, which uses the leftover feature print fabric bordered with strips of the purple print. I bound it with a strip of kelly green, although it looks teal here.


I quilted only the squares of feature print, and wrote my name in quilting on the center bottom two squares. (It says "Made by Marcia Gilbreath" with "2008" in the upper right corner.)


I'm very pleased with the way it turned out, especially since it's the first time I've really quilted anything on my sewing machine. It's not perfect, but it'll do.

**********

No comments: