Saturday, July 21, 2007

Ty, where are you??

I have the two small quilt tops done and will be layering them with the backing and batting tomorrow. I will do my best to learn machine quilting to get them finished, and I will post pictures when I get one finished.

I have given up on the professional quilter I was hoping to use for the red and green quilt and am looking for another. I love the work this lady has done for me before, but I have not been able to get hold of her to deliver the quilt tops, and I am afraid I might not be able to get them back if she ever did get them. So if anyone knows a good longarm quilter in the Corpus Christi area, let me know!

I will try to do the oriental wall hanging myself, if I can do the floral applique quilts adequately. I also located a quilt top that I made about five years ago, Mr. McGregor's Garden, a series quilt from Quiltmaker magazine. I love the top, and will try to quilt it as well.

On Friday I had to rush my DH to the doctor, as he was very sick and weak. The doctor says it is his Carcinoid syndrome again, and has nothing to give him for it. He is arranging for DH to see an oncologist, who may be able to help with monthly injections of a somatostatin (I think that's what he said.)

I get complacent about my husband's disease, then something like this happens to throw a scare into me. I try to forget that he's so sick, and most of the time he goes about his life as though he were perfectly well. It would be horrible for both of us to live as though each day might be his last; it is unfair, however, for me to treat him as well when he feels sick much of the time.

My younger son helped him finish re-roofing the patio last weekend (which probably didn't help.) It really looks much better now, and should last for many years. I am hoping that we can gradually get some indoor repairs done now, although I will have to hire people to do anything strenuous. The bathroom and kitchen are the main problem areas. It would be so great to have one of the TV home-improvement shows come to do the work! But if I can be patient and do just a little bit at a time, it will eventually get done.

The bathroom work is almost all cosmetic--paint, removing wallpaper, repairing a ceiling that isn't as stable as it should be; and then I'll have professionals in to refinish the tub, tile, sink, and countertop. A new shower door is probably beyond our capabilities as DIYers, too. Maybe Home Depot would install it for us.

The kitchen needs a re-design, new fridge, a dishwasher where there is none now, additional cabinets, and new flooring. Plus new paint, repair of a small hole in the ceiling, and installation of a new range hood. The main problem is that the electrical wiring in the house is more than 35 years old, and really needs to be completely re-wired. No way can we afford that, so I'm not sure we could add a dishwasher to the circuit which is a little dicey already. Oh, well-where is Ty Pennington when I need him??

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh gosh and gee whiz. What a stressful time for you and Cy. Every;one has written to the shs list to him about how he is feeling and how brave he is so I decided to write to you instead. I read and think about how strong and brave you are even though I'm sure you don't feel that way. And I know that we just do what we have to do in order to keep going but it can feel so much like we're alone.

Know that I think of both of you often and I too wish that Ty or HGTV would come fix your house. I'd be happy to come and help you fix the bathroom up. Let me know when it is cooler...lol

Luv, Sus